1. Advertising and answering phone inquires for vacancies. Phone calls ring to my home
office 24/7. Hartvilla website, Trulia.com and sign on property.
2. Prepare property for rent when vacated. (Utilities, repairs, cleaning etc.)
3. Collection of rents, payment of monthly bills that owner desires. Render computerized
monthly accounting statements with original invoices. Year end statements are sent for
tax purposes and contractors are sent a 1099 to comply with IRS.
4. Review rental application including credit and unlawful detainer report, along with
employment and past landlord referrals. Please note that tenants access some apartments
units and houses by a lockbox code given over the telephone. Individual showings are
possible, but are limited to once a day or every other day.
5. Interior inspections usually once or twice a year for apartments and once a year for
residences. It is suggested that units are on a maintenance schedule to check smoke
detectors, leaking faucets, furnace filters and overall condition of property.
6. Owner reimburses eviction costs, usually around $850 without a court appearance -
$1100 with court appearance from attorney. 3 day notices are served at no cost and
appearance – $100 for agent.
7. Agreement can be terminated given a 30 day notice by either party after six months.
8. Management fee for apartment buildings is 5% of gross rents with a $300 rental fee when
vacant. If low rents, a minimum fee will be established.
9. Management fee for a single family residence is $85 monthly and $350 rental fee under
$2000 rent. $100 monthly between $2000 - $2500 and $400 fee. $125 monthly fee over
$2500 and $450 fee.
I have been managing and selling real estate in the Greater Whittier area since 1979 after
graduating from Whittier College. I receive many referrals from other Realtors and
community groups in regards to rental availability. Currently I manage around 200 tenants in
Whittier and La Habra. My belief is to keep my business close to my Whittier office in order
to deliver a high level of service to my clients. My maintenance people likewise live within
20 minutes of most properties and generally can provide same day or next day service.
Checklist to prepare property: $1,000,000 insurance policy with agent named as additional
insured, Lock change for new tenant, Smoke detector each bedroom, C/O detector each floor
and near bedroom, water heater strapped. Extras: Lead paint test, GFI plugs in kit/bath,
Sewer cleanout, water main shut-off.
Homes by Email
Be the first to see new listings as soon as they hit the market!